Friday, May 20, 2011

Ask Ellen...About Bible Study


 Why is it that I was never offered the opportunity within the Catholic Church to participate in a Bible Study Program until I was 51 years old?  Joanie, ME

Thanks for the question, Joanie. It is one that peaks my interest.  First let me begin by defending the Church (on some level).  The Catholic Church was in existence before the Bible, meaning long before there was the written Word.  The value of the Church in and of itself cannot be underestimated.  That being said, there came a point in Church history, when the printing press came on the scene and Bibles became accessible to a wider audience.  At that point many people were not educated.  They looked to the Church for explanations of Scripture.  These factors are very important to where we find ourselves today.  Times have changed.  People are educated and but still are looking to the Church for answers.

Since I started out praising the Church, let me focus on what I see as the downside.  Many parishes are failing to meet the needs of their people.  Our Protestant brothers and sisters know their Bibles.  In general Catholics do not.  This is why many people leave the Catholic Church falsely believing that it is not biblically based.  It also explains why many Catholics stammer through answers when Protestants question them about their faith.  I think we really do want to know.

So what does the average Catholic do about this?  We learn to study our Bibles.  Ideally this is done in your parish among a community of learners.  I implore you to only look at programs approved by the Church.  Why?  Because much like our ancestors mentioned above, we need the guidance of the Church when interpreting Scripture.  It is such a blessing for us to have this as it assures that we won’t get off track and into our own agenda.

I encourage all of you reading this to approach your priest and tell him that you want and need Scripture study in your parish.  If he refuses, pray for him and get the study for yourself…maybe even invite a group of friends.  A Gift of Grace started just that way.  Before I had the pastor’s approval to lead Bible study parish wide, I led them in my home with my bffs and a quality Catholic program.

Someone just told me that their priest said the last thing we need is another packaged study.  I say that is exactly what we need.  Now, let’s make it happen!



No comments:

Post a Comment